Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Academic Success Center Faculty Resources
Welcome to the Academic Success Center's (ASC) Faculty Resource guide. This guide has graphics depicting the different ASC resources in "Learn the ASC." "For Students" has suggested language to use when giving feedback to students, encouraging them to attend an ASC Orientation or to use our writing and statistics resources and services. This tab also has suggested resources and tips to assist with English Language Learners (ELL). The "Collaborate" tab has the ASC Collaboration Forms, along with an overview of where to send the form and the next steps the ASC staff will take to reach out to students. The "Presentations" tab has presentation given at symposium and various faculty meetings focusing on clarifying ASC services and faculty member-ASC staff collaboration. Finally, the "Sample Coaching Plans" tab provides faculty members with a sample coaching plan for both writing and statistics. Remember that students can self-select to student faculty members their coaching plans, so encourage your students to share them with you!
This page is meant to provide faculty members with resources to assist them in understanding the ASC's resources and services as well as providing them with some common language and resources to provide students to encourage them to visit the ASC. If there is an additional resource that you would like, email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know.
We are here to help and to partner with you in helping students achieve academic success!
The ASC Team
ASC Contact Information
ASC Chat Hours
ASC Chat is staffed by an academic coach at the following times (Pacific time zone):
Sunday 12:00-5:00 p.m.
Monday 10:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m.
Tuesday 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
Wednesday 10:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m.
Thursday 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
Friday 10:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m.
Saturday 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
If there is not a coach on duty, submit your question via one of the below methods:
Ask a Coach
Search our FAQs on the Academic Success Center's Ask a Coach page.
Helpful Resources for Faculty Members
ASC Resources and Services
This informative graphic provides a visual image of which tier to send students to depending on their needs and questions.
When to Utilize ASC Resources and Services
This handout has the graphic illustrated above as well as a decision table that explains when a student should seek ASC staff guidance and when they should seek faculty member guidance.
ASC Collaboration Forms
Faculty members, please use the collaboration form to recommend a student who would benefit from academic coaching. Please provide as much information as possible to assist ASC staff in developing a personalized collaboration letter. Students will receive an invitation to collaborate and the faculty member will be CC'd on the communication. Complete this form and email it to email@example.com.
ASC Information for Assignment Feedback
This handout provides suggested language and links to encourage students to utilize ASC resources such as ASC Orientation, Academic Writer, Grammarly, Ask a Coach, and coaching sessions.
ASC Tiers of Support Overview
This handout provides an overview of the ASC's tiers of service along with an informative video. Share this handout with any students who want an overview of the ASC.
Resources to Support English Language Learners
This handout provides resources for faculty to recommend to the English Language Learner as well as some resources for faculty to use as they assist students from different cultures.
ASC Cheat Sheet: Quick Tips
To assist you with getting students to resources and services as efficiently as possible, here are some quick tips and suggested links/resources for you:
- Send students to the ASC website to peruse resources and learn more about our services.
- Academic coaching is focused on written communication and quantitative reasoning and is skill-based not deliverable-based. Students can register for coaching here and here is a FAQ to assist them.
- Tutoring would focus on an assignment (deliverable). We do not tutor. Rather, a writing coach would assist your student in learning how to synthesize so that skill could then be used across all assignments.
- Writing coaching focuses on higher order skills such as paraphrasing, idea alignment, and synthesis/analysis. Suggest Grammarly to students for grammar and Academic Writer for students for APA Style.
- Send a student to the Ask a Coach page if they have questions about how to register for services. We have steps with pictures and videos to assist them as well as live chat if they need to speak with a coach.
- Students can self-schedule recorded and group sessions. Individual Sessions need to be scheduled via ASC Chat. See our Appointment Types FAQ and recommend to students for more information.
- Students in any "CMP" designated course (portfolio, prospectus, or exam) can utilize all of our self-directed resources and Ask a Coach plus group sessions. CMP students cannot use recorded or individual sessions until they move into their dissertation courses.
- See our FAQ for more information and the link to the policy
- We have group sessions for most of the prospectus components. See our Group Sessions guide for more details.
- Collaboration between students, faculty, and coaches is encouraged! One way to begin that collaboration is to encourage students to self-select to send you their coaching plan. You can also ask students if you can view their session recordings.
- Faculty members are welcome to use our Ask a Coach page by searching our FAQs, submitting a question, or chatting live with an academic coach.
- Faculty members are welcome to attend group or individual sessions with a student. Have the student schedule the session and forward you the Zoom meeting link.
The shared goal is to get students the assistance they need to be successful. If you have a student who would benefit from assistance with writing or statistics, direct them to the ASC or fill out a collaboration form (see forms in box above) so we can reach out.
ASC Cheat Sheet
This handout is the printable version of the ASC Cheat Sheet.
Links to Relevant Frequently Asked Questions