Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Contact the IRB
Email us at email@example.com
Attend daily Office Hours
- Mondays at 8-9am PT
- Tuesdays at 1:30-2pm PT
- Wednesdays at 2:30-3pm PT
- Thursdays at 1-2pm PT
- Fridays at 2-3pm PT
Research with Adults 18 and Older
Research with Students in K-12 Educational Settings
If your study is taking place in an everyday K-12 educational setting, where all students have an equal opportunity to get the ‘treatment’ (like a new curriculum a classroom), you will prepare the following documents:
- CITI Certificate
- Eligibility Criteria
- Information Letter
- Readability Reports
- Data collection instruments (for example, interview questions, observation sheet, intervention/treatment materials). If your study will have an online survey or questionnaire, please see our additional requirements and resources for setting up online surveys or questionnaires.
If you're not sure if this is applicable to your study, please attend IRB Office Hours to talk with IRB staff.
Research with Minors in Non-Educational Settings
Additional Documents for Human Subjects Research
You may need to obtain permissions for your research if you will be doing any of the following:
- Recruiting through a closed or moderated social media group
- Using the physical or private resources of a site
- Conducting research at a government or military site
- Conducting research on-the-ground in a country outside the United States
You may also need to obtain a confidentiality agreement if you are hiring a private transcriber, translator, interpreter, or research assistant for your study.
Archival or Secondary Data Sets
If you are using an archival or secondary data set, you will prepare the following documents:
- CITI Certificate
- Data Use Agreement (only if your data set is private and not publicly available)
Other topics of interest
The following resources may also be applicable to you, depending on your study design.
Compensation or Incentives
Drafting Demographic Questions